Two Feet displays smooth passion at Exit/In

Photo and story by Jessica Knoble / Contributing Writer

When searching for new artists and fresh music, Nashville is the source of rising bands and song spotlights. On Thursday, Exit/In was the hub for one of indie music’s soon-to-be biggest artists, Bill Dess, more popularly known as “Two Feet.”

Introducing a blend of electronic, blues and soul, the music of Two Feet consists of thick bass patterns, crisp guitar licks, a beat that sits deep in the pocket and the smooth vocals of Dess.

His opening act, Absofacto, brought a similar jazz vibe. Jonathan Visger, the solo artist under the name, brought with him a drummer, guitarist and bass player. His newest EP, “Thousand Peaces,” took up most of his setlist, along with his newest release “TROUBLE,” a single which he collaborated on with The Knocks.

After the opening act, Bill Dess made his way onto the stage with his partner in the project, Geoffrey Hufford. The crowd was a sold-out show and the room was immediately filled with electrical riffs from Dess’ guitar.

“This is my first time headlining a show in Nashville and it sold out,” Dess said. “I like the city a lot. Really good food, such a beautiful city.”

Dess performed some of his hits from his EP “Momentum,” including “Had Some Drinks” and “Love Is A Bitch.”

Dess told the audience he’d been sick the past week, but was toughing it out for the tour.

“This job is f—king hard, huh? For real, it is. Got sick, can’t even f—king talk one day and I feel bad, still gotta go back on the road. But I’m here for you tonight, I love you all.”

Dess is a prime example of a musician who went from virtually nothing to a project that’s constantly growing.

“Two years ago I was working as a cashier in Bodega in the heart of New York City, and after paying rent and working 10 hours a day, some days I was asking for some extra dollars on the street just to get a cup of coffee,” Dess said. “Never went to college, didn’t even study the guitar, and now I’m here in front of you people. I can’t believe how much my life has turned around.”

Dess plans to release new music within the next few months, after his tour ends on Sunday.

To contact Music Editor Hayden Goodridge, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.