Baseball: Offensive onslaught leads to victory for MTSU

Photo by Darius Horton / MTSU Sidelines

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (14-11) made a short trek over to Nashville to take on in-state foe Belmont on Tuesday. In their most dominant win of the season, the Raiders never trailed outside of the first inning in the game and used a nine-run second inning to propel them to a 24-4 victory.

Pitching dominates in blowout

A total of six pitchers saw action on Tuesday, and every one of them had excellent outings that provided for valuable in-game experience heading into the weekend series against Old Dominion.

Junior right-hander Carter Bair started on the mound for Middle Tennessee, and he threw 1.2  innings of two-run ball before handing the ball over to sophomore Grant Williams.

Williams had the longest time on the mound, pitching 2.1 innings in total. He allowed two runs on four hits before being relieved.

Junior right-hander A.J. Spencer collected his second win of the season to continue his perfect 2-0 record. He pitched two innings and allowed no runs on two hits.

Three other rotation pitchers saw one inning each, and none of them gave up a run as the Raiders cruised to victory.

Offense puts game away early

The Blue Raiders used a huge second inning that saw them put up nine runs to set the tone for the rest of the day.

Junior Austin Dennis notched his third home run of the season, while junior Drew Huff had an excellent day at the plate with a grand slam and a triple.

In total, Middle Tennessee tallied up 20 hits and 24 runs in one of their best performances of the season.

The Raiders will next travel to Norfolk, Virginia to take on the Monarchs of Old Dominion University. This will be another three-game conference series for the Raiders, who currently stand at 3-3 on the season.

1. […] Original: Senior left-hander Jake Wyrick got the start on the mound for the Raiders, and followed up his previous start against Charlotte with another great performance. He threw six innings of one-run ball and struck out 10 batters in the win. […]