Bonnaroo Artist Focus: Flor

Story by Brianna Riley / Contributing Writer

With Bonnaroo tickets on sale and the Manchester festival’s June 7-10 dates around the corner, it might be a little daunting trying to decide which of the 100+ artists will give you the most bang for your buck. In this column, we’ll focus on a different artist every week to give you a sense of who they are and who will be worth checking out once summer rolls around.

Today, many indie bands are trying to break into the music scene by creating a distinct sound, connecting with fans through social media and standing out among the endless amount of artists trying to make themselves heard. While the majority of bands are struggling to find their niche spot in the industry, Flor is doing an excellent job of securing their place in the indie music world.

Originating from Hood River, Oregon, Flor moved to Los Angeles, California, in order to pursue their creative endeavors. Flor consists of vocalist Zachary Grace, guitarist McKinley Kitts, bassist Dylan William and drummer Kyle Hill. Through a blend of indie-rock and synthetic pop, the four-piece has meshed two vastly different elements to create a unique sound that is drawing new fans in daily. Flor has toured with artists such as Halsey and Lostboycrow, and in 2014, emerged into the music scene with their debut EP, “Sounds,” which quickly became a success among indie music lovers. In 2015, the band followed up with an eight-track album, “Sights & Sounds,” that included songs such as “heart” and “let me in.” These two tracks—along with the other songs on the album—entranced listeners with their synthetic sound and heartfelt lyrics.

With the success of “Sights & Sounds,” Flor signed to the record label Fueled by Ramen in 2016. Then in May 2017, the band released it’s most anticipated album, “come out. you’re hiding.” With songs like “guarded” and “warm blood,” the group presented an interesting storytelling ability that showcased themes of love and heartbreak. In the song “warm blood,” listeners get a sense of the band’s different take on love with lyrics such as, “Your whispers and sunlight / Cold hands feeling for mine.” “guarded” provides a light-hearted danceable feeling with strong instrumentation and perfect synths placed throughout the song.

While at Bonnaroo, Flor will provide the perfect balance of danceable, synthetic sounds and heartfelt rock-influenced lyrics that will keep festival-goers wanting more from the time Flor opens their set until the final note.

To contact Music Editor Hayden Goodridge, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.