Cody Fry brings upbeat sound, diverse style to Mercy Lounge show

Photo and Story by Jessica Knoble / Contributing Writer

Many aspiring artists flock to Nashville in hopes of building a fan base, booking some shows and launching a career. With more than 180 music venues in the Nashville area, it’s not hard to find live shows nearly every night. Even with the multitude of talent, it’s not often to see a young artist with under 10k Instagram followers and around 136k monthly listeners on Spotify put on a live show that has the production, intimacy and raw talent suited for Bridgestone Arena. However, at Mercy Lounge this past Thursday night, Cody Fry broke boundaries and put on a show that deserves to be played an audience of thousands. This young artist could go even higher with the right Instagram followers growth support. We all believe in his amazing ability to create music and build a dedicated following and we would all like to see it grow more! He often speaks about his methods of gaining more followers on social media sites like Instagram. Like most artists, he could use social media growth services like Nitreo (see this nitreo review) so he can continue to build an audience for his music.

Cody Fry is a singer-songwriter from Nashville who graduated from Belmont University in 2012. His style contains an underlying base of pop with a taste of jazz and soul mixed with orchestral features and electronic components. With the rise of his newest album, “Flying,” released in October 2017, it came time for a local Nashville show to display his newer hits as well as some from the past. He states that he has always been interested in sharing his music with an audience and would frequently upload his music using social media to get views likes, and followers who could experience his music, inspiring him to continue.

His opener, Garrett Moshier, is another Nashville singer-songwriter who blends the sounds of pop, rock and blues. Moshier released his debut EP, “Summertime,” in 2017. He performed some songs from the EP including “Urban Angel,” “Figure It Out” and “Didn’t Mama Tell You.” Moshier also performed his most recent single, “Coffee Shop,” and a few covers.

After the opener, Cody Fry entered the stage with his eight-man backup band, starting off his set on the slower side with “From the Cold.” This quickly transitioned into his number one hit, “Go,” with bright lights and a high energy performance.

“I truly thought there were gonna be more people on stage then there was gonna be in the crowd, and you’re all here!” Fry said, following his first two songs.

The setlist continued with “Want Me Back” and “Find My Way Back,” while Fry transitioned between guitar and keyboard, simultaneously supporting the music with his wide-ranging vocals.

The band left the stage for a few minutes, while Fry gave the crowd a taste of his slower side. “Flying,” the hit from his new album, was accompanied by piano and pre-recorded orchestral samples. Fry also did a cover of “Over the Rainbow,” which he said was suggested to him by Ben Rector, an artist he opened for in the past.

When the band returned, “Better” and “Before I Met You” brought energy back into the set, featuring audience interaction and incredible musical chemistry between band members.

To close out the show, the band performed “Love Somebody,” while integrating the Bon Jovi hit, “Livin’ On A Prayer.” Before the final song, Fry gave his gratitude to the crowd.

“This is like a bucket list moment for me,” Fry said. “I know this isn’t Bridgestone Arena or anything, but to play a show, and to have people here that are into my music, and here for it, that’s just so insane.”

The final song performed was “Underground,” an acoustic hit with featured background vocalists that transitioned into a full band moment.

As the crowd began to fade out, Fry stayed to meet with his fans, promising a bright future for the artist and his bandmates in the world of music.

You can find Fry’s streaming platforms, social media and upcoming show dates at his website.

To contact Music Editor Hayden Goodridge, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.