Softball: Great pitching, potent offense leads Blue Raiders to victory over TSU

Photo by David Chamberlain / MTSU Sidelines

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders softball team (23-10) beat the Tennessee State Tigers (3-29)  7-1 in a big victory on Tuesday night in at Blue Raider Softball Field.

The Blue Raiders scored seven runs on 12 hits in the game, while TSU scored only one run on six hits.

Offense gets off to slow start

The Blue Raiders started off slow for the first two innings. Middle Tennessee managed to put runners on base, but failed to capitalize on the scoring opportunities.

For the home squad, it’s chances like that they can’t afford to miss on. Against better competition, it’s something that could cost them the game.

“We missed an opportunity in the first because we missed a squeeze and didn’t get (the bunt) down,” said Head Coach Jeff Breeden. “We didn’t come focused and ready to go, and let that one slip away.”

Great pitching for MT leads them to victory

Freshman pitcher Amber Baldwin pitched six innings and only allowed one run on six hits for the night.

“I thought I pitched pretty well tonight,” Baldwin said. ” I also had the back-up of my defense when the hits were getting to the infield.”

Baldwin followed up her performance from her previous outing against Charlotte, when she allowed two runs off four hits, with an even better one on Tuesday. She’s continued to show why it is she’s been given her role so early in her career.

“Amber has done a great job for us,” Breeden said. “She really only threw tonight because she was a little rusty in game two (against Charlotte). She needed a little more work then we have been giving her, and that’s why she threw for six innings tonight.”

Baldwin’s victory tonight put moved her record up to 8-3 on the season.

Offense breaks through, defense picks up the pace late 

After the first two innings ended, the Blue Raiders start the third by getting two runs and scored in each inning after that.

Middle Tennessee had 26 at-bats for the game, scoring seven runs on 12 hits.

For the defense, Baldwin was in a tough position to start the bottom of the fourth. She had two runners on base, and a double by TSU’s Katie Schneider scored one runner while moving another to move into scoring position. The infield came through for her, as they played near flawless ball to help her get out of it..

The next three at-bats led to a groundout, a strikeout and a pop-up to left, which effectively sealed the inning for the Blue Raiders. The Tigers did not score another run for the remainder of the game.

The Blue Raiders will play at UAB for a double-header on Friday in a conference battle. Game time is at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport.