Sidelines Guidelines: Escape end-of-semester stress with our top Netflix picks

Photo by Tayhlor Stephenson / Lifestyles Editor

Story by Delaney Dickey / Contributing Writer

With the end of the semester right around the corner, the list of responsibilities is spiraling out of control. All at once you’re expected to write multiple essays, roundup classmates to finish group projects and constantly study for final exams, and that causes end-of-semester stress. Luckily, Netflix is available for de-stressing, because sometimes all you really need is a moment of relaxation. So take a break and begin binging our top Netflix picks. 

TV Shows

“Stranger Things”

Honestly, when this show debuted I tried avoiding it. Without watching a single episode I thought it was overrated, but I’m here to tell you I was so wrong. This series transforms the thriller-fantasy genre for television. Based in the 1980s in a small town in Indiana, the show follows the investigation of the disappearance of Joyce Byer’s, played by Winona Ryder, 12-year-old son, Will, acted by Noah Schnapp. Throughout the course of this investigation, the characters discover information about top secret government experiments, encounter strong supernatural forces and meet a very unusual little girl. This series is perfect for your late night, after homework, binge-watching sessions.

Seasons: 2

“The Twilight Zone”

Created by Rod Serling, this is a unique anthology series that is the first of its kind. Sharing a different story each week and showcasing A-list actors and actresses of the time, this series covered topics from science fiction, superstition, comedy, horror and drama. You never know what you are going to see when you watch this show.

Seasons: 4

“The Office” (U.S.)

One word: hilarious. This witty show is a mockumentary that follows the work lives of the Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company employees in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Whether it’s witnessing the casts’ plentiful pranks on one other or watching Michael Scott, portrayed by Steve Carell, embarrass himself through his questionable actions, this show is perfect to binge-watch after a night full of studying.

Seasons: 9

“American Crime Story: The People v. O. J. Simpson”

Created by the makers of “American Horror Story” and “Scream Queens,” “American Crime Story: The People v. O. J. Simpson” is a short season that captivates your attention in the initial three minutes. As expected, this series follows the legal battles and trials of O. J. Simpson, who was the leading suspect for the murder of his wife and her friend Ron Goldman.

Seasons: 1

“Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events”

Based on the beloved and nostalgic books, Netflix has brought “A Series of Unfortunate Events” to life. The series follows the tragic tale of the three Baudelaire orphans who work to investigate their parents’ mysterious deaths. The children are left under the supervision of the evil Count Olaf, who is hungry for the Baudelaire inheritance. It’s another show that you will quickly find yourself binge-watching after the first episode.

Seasons: 2

Movies

The Ocean Series: “Ocean’s Eleven,” “Ocean’s Twelve” and “Ocean’s Thirteen”

These logic and action-filled films follow a group of con men as they plot various heists in Las Vegas and all around Europe. Danny Ocean, played by George Clooney, comes up with sophisticated and elaborate casino heists, where he and his group make millions. These fast-paced films are not only fun to watch, but their plot twists keep it unpredictable, leaving you guessing until the final scenes roll.

“When We First Met”

This romantic comedy follows the life of Noah Ashby, portrayed by Adam DeVine. After spending the perfect night with his dream girl, Avery, acted by Alexandria Daddario, Noah finds himself in the cursed “friend zone.” Three years after that night, Noah still wonders what went wrong with Avery but then finds himself able to travel back in time, hoping to make things right between him and Avery. This movie is not only hilarious, but it strays from the typical predictability romantic comedies usually bring.

“The Conjuring”

Based on a true story, “The Conjuring” tells the famous story of the Perron family. After having many paranormal encounters in their new home, the Perron family seeks help from world-renowned paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, portrayed by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. Directed by James Wan, this film is terrifying and will leave you paranoid even after the credits begin to roll. While you may not think this is your typical “study break” film, it will certainly make you forget about the stress from school.

“Forgetting Sarah Marshall”

After a devastating breakup with his TV star girlfriend, Sarah Marshall, acted by Kristen Bell, Peter Bretter, portrayed by Jason Segel, seeks to get over his heartbreak in the tropical paradise of Hawaii. However, not all is well in paradise for Peter because he quickly finds out that Sarah is there with her new boyfriend. With leading stars Segel, Bell, Russell Brand, Mila Kunis and many more, this movie will surely leave you laughing until your belly hurts.

The stresses of due dates and deadlines can quickly become overwhelming, but that’s only if you allow them to be. Instead, plan accordingly and intertwine Netflix breaks into your study sessions, and you’ll conquer the end of the semester blues with some much-needed doses of binge-watching.