The first annual Natural Hair Fashion Show educates, empowers its audience

Photo and story by Kashima Allen / Contributing Writer

Murfreesboro’s first annual Natural Hair Fashion Show took place Saturday evening. The purpose of this event was to give women an idea of how to take care of their natural hair, how to style it, what products to use and to overall promote natural hair in a positive setting.

There were four distinct looks displayed throughout the evening: an up-do, casual and creative styles and the wedding look. Anndra Gardner, the event organizer, said that she hopes to put an end to the rumors about natural hair.

Crystal Jones-Bond and Anndra Gardner prepare for the show to begin on Saturday, March 14, 2018 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Kashima Allen / MTSU Sidelines).

“Many women think (their) natural hair is too much work,” said Gardner. “Honestly it is, but there is so much information about natural hair that is just circling around in the air, and I’m trying to show people the truth in a creative way. You can wear your natural hair for anything … graduation, prom, weddings. It’s just up to you on how to style it. I hope this is an educational event for people.”

Earlier that day there was a natural hair conference that gave people a chance to learn how to do their hair. 

Everyone in attendance had their own reason for why they wanted to attend the fashion show. Renauldo Grant said he came to support women and their natural hair.

“I love a woman who (can) rock what God gave them with no hesitation,” Grant said. “I mainly came because my wife is modeling in this, but … I love seeing a woman wearing an Afro or natural puffs or something to that degree. They’re beautiful with it.”

Whitney Mccurrie, one of the attendees, said she came for hair tips and to support a friend.

Whitney Mccurie attends the first Natural Hair Fashion Show on Saturday, March 14, 2018 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Kashima Allen / MTSU Sidelines).

“I’m natural, and it is a lot of work to maintain your natural roots,” Mccurrie said. “ I wanted to come get some hair care tips, but to also support my friend who is in the show.”

Chris A. Bond, 92Q’s host of “I just Got My Hair Did,” hosted the show that evening while the DJ spun various tracks. From old-school hits such as “I Like” by Guy, to new crowd favorites like “Pills and Automobiles” by Chris Brown, the music helped create a fun and lively atmosphere. 

During one of the intermissions that allowed for the models to change outfits, The DJ kept the fun going and played “Wobble,” which got the entire audience on their feet while waiting for the fashion show to resume.

Model Nikki Grant said she wanted to volunteer to walk the runway because she wanted to show off her hair and felt like it was a great opportunity.

“I’ve never done any modeling, but it’s been 10 years since I’ve gotten a relaxer,” Grant said. “I went natural  for my hair to grow in a healthier way and saw this natural hair modeling opportunity. I definitely knew I wanted to be a part of that and show ladies that you can rock your curly hair.”

The Natural Hair Fashion Show was sponsored by Phoenix Deep Rooted, Makeup by Judy, Brooke Loves Hair and more. It was a fun, educational and inspirational night. Organizers are planning another show for next year to educate even more women on their natural hair.