Crime: MTSU student arrested on aggravated domestic assault charges

Photo by Eric Goodwin / MTSU Sidelines Archive 

An MTSU student was arrested on charges of aggravated domestic assault, vandalism and false imprisonment on Friday, Sept. 7 at College Grove Apartments, according to a police report from the Murfreesboro Police Department. The victim was another student.

Murfreesboro Police responded to a call of an unknown problem on Friday. Upon arriving at the College Grove Apartments, police met the victim, who reported that Chrystal Alston, 22, was waiting for the victim to arrive home. Alston had texted the victim, saying “I’m waiting on you, you can bet your life on it.”

The victim reported that when they arrived home, Alston parked her car in front of the victim’s car to prevent the victim from leaving and then sprayed pepper spray onto the victim’s car. The victim was able to roll up their car windows before the pepper spray could make contact with them. The victim then proceeded to leave their vehicle and attempted to walk home. Alston then approached the victim in a threatening manner. The victim attempted to kick Alston to keep her away, and Alston bit the victim on the hand. Alston then tased the victim.

Emergency Medical Services were called to the scene by police for an onsight evaluation of the victim and Alston. Both the victim and Alston refused emergency medical transport.

Upon police conclusion, Alston was arrested for aggravated domestic assault, vandalism and false imprisonment. She was subsequently transported to the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office for booking.

To contact news Editor Caleb Revill, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous MTSU holds fourth annual 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony
Next Football: Hurricane Florence forces MTSU vs. Georgia to be moved up

1 Comment

1. B. Tate
    September 14, 2018
    Reply

This incident hit very close to home for me for a number of reasons. One of the obvious reasons being I am a student here, and I care about the well- being of my peers. I also have family members that dealt with domestic violence in the past, and I recently spoke about it on my Facebook page. Domestic violence can effect anyone, regardless of age, gender, or race but we often first think of the victims as being female. In this case, the victim’s gender was not revealed, but the suspect who was arrested is a female. I say that to say this: men should not be afraid to report incidents like this. I am very aware of the stereotypes and potential backlash that men could encounter from a situation like this. Men are looked at as weak. Some people even claim that if a woman hits a man, he must have done something to provoke her. For years we have helped and praised women who have moved on from abusive relationships but we sweep these incidents under the rug when the roles are reversed. We, including myself, encourage women to take extra precaution to protect themselves. We teach men to turn the other cheek and ‘suck it up’ and deal with it. These are not healthy circumstances for any human to live with. Please don’t be afraid to protect yourself. It does not always have to end in physical protection. Just separate yourself from a dangerous situation.