Crime: Murfreesboro Police respond to reported rape outside MTSU Kappa Sigma frat house

Story by Angele Latham / Contributing Writer

Murfreesboro Police responded to a report of a rape outside the Kappa Sigma fraternity house on Maple Avenue Monday evening, according to a Murfreesboro Police Department report.

The victim, an MTSU student, reported to police that they were raped Monday night by a male suspect in the cab of a four-door pickup truck.

The suspect, who the victim only knew as “Danny,” is described in the report as a 27-year-old white male who is approximately 5’6’’ tall.

The case was turned over to the Murfreesboro Criminal Investigations Division.

This incident comes a little over a year after another report of sexual assault relating to the Kappa Sigma fraternity. On March 23, 2017, an MTSU sophomore reported an alleged sexual assault by a Kappa Sigma fraternity pledge after a party at the fraternity house.

The Kappa Sigma fraternity released the accused from his pledgeship after learning of the incident, severing all ties between the two.

MTSU provides many resources for students affected by sexual violence that can be viewed here.

To contact News Editor Caleb Revill, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous MTSU receives 3-year grant to implement Mental Heath First Aid program
Next Video: Meet the MTSU artist - Redd Byrdd

2 Comments

1. jtsmtsu18
    October 25, 2018
    Reply

It is so unfortunate that rape and sexual assault continue to take place on a regular basis on college campuses. As an MTSU student, I am thankful that we get alerted by email and social media when these things happen, but it is an alert that I always hate to see. While the school seems to be doing everything it can to prevent rape and sexual assault cases, this is a problem that clearly won’t go away on its own. Even though students do get these alerts we have to remember that we are only alerted for the reported cases, and there are likely many others taking place on a regular basis that we have no knowledge of. Students need to understand that these things can unfortunately happen at any time with anyone, and being aware of your surroundings can potentially prevent something like this from happening. I hope that as these brave victims continue to come forward, MTSU students begin to understand how unacceptable it is to have this taking place on our campus. I’m glad that MTSU offers so many resources for victims, and while I hope these resources are used, I hope that we can eventually prevent situations like this one from happening at all.

2. Brian Tate
    October 26, 2018
    Reply

Sexual assault and similar situations seem to be rampant around here. I don’t know if it’s because these types of things typically happen on college campuses or if there is a specific link between the area, the school, and the students here. It is never ok to blame victims of these situations, but at the same time we have to discuss precautions that keep people out of these predicaments. Most cases of sexual assault happen with someone that the victim already knows personally. With that being said, I find it sort of odd that a college sophomore is hanging out with someone that is 27 (from the story). College students come in different images but people tend to congregate with individuals that are like them. It doesn’t say in the story, but intoxication is another thing to pay attention to in these situations. Only sober individuals should be engaging each other so that the boundaries are clear and consent can be easily communicated and received. Another thing that I hate to point is the fact that all types of misconduct go down around these fraternity environments. I’m am not condemning that aspect of college life, but you have to make yourself aware of ALL of the possibilities of good and bad things that could happen. Should there be more monitoring in theses environments, either internal or external? That’s a tough call to make, but I think overprotective actions are better than dealing with the after effects of sexual assault.