Murfreesboro woman killed, shot in face

Update 3/16/2019: The woman has been identified as Carmen E. Simmons, 18, of Christiana, Tennessee.

A Murfreesboro woman was pronounced dead Wednesday night after she was found suffering from a gunshot wound to the face.

At approximately 9:44 p.m., Murfreesboro Police responded to a report of a “female possibly not breathing” at the 400 block of Forrest Street, according to a statement released by the department.

Upon arrival, officers found the wounded woman. She was transported to Saint Thomas Rutherford Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

“The victim died from a gunshot wound,” said police Detective Sgt. Tommy Massey, according to an official statement released on March 16. “However, the manner of death is still unknown.”

Officials have declared this an active investigation, and no additional information is available at this time.

This is a developing story.

A shooting that occurred near Walter Hill in Rutherford County on Saturday is still being investigated as well.

To contact News Editor Angele Latham, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.