Annual Rutherford County Walk to End Alzheimer’s makes impact

The Promise Garden flowers create a display of the many different people who have a connection to the Alzheimer’s disease. (Kate Craighead / MTSU Sidelines)

Photos and story by Kate Craighead

The MTSU Dean Hayes Track and Soccer Field was filled with a sea of purple with the Rutherford County Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Saturday.

This event is held annually in more than 600 communities worldwide and is the world’s largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care and research. The event consisted of a ceremony and a 2.8-mile walk.

The ceremony recognized those who have raised the most money towards the cause, granted the Melinda Vance award to an individual, and explained the meaning behind the Promise Garden.  Currently, $218,255 has been raised for Alzheimer’s research. The Rutherford County walk has an ultimate goal of $310,000. The top fundraiser team is NHS with a current total of $45,598.53.

To donate towards the Rutherford County walk, or for more information regarding future events, contact Dena Oneal, the Walk Manager, at dkoneal@alz.org

To contact News Editor Savannah Meade, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Fear in America’s heart: Islamophobia in today’s America
Next Crime: Three people shot at student apartment complex