Thursday, September 26, 2024

MTSU volleyball crushes Alabama A&M 3-0

Featured Photo by Caitlyn Hajek

Story by Linsey Mata

MTSU volleyball (4-8) defeated Alabama A&M (2-9) by a score of 3-0 at Alumni Memorial Gym on Tuesday, Sept. 24. 

Leading up to Tuesday’s match, the Blue Raiders found themselves on a three-game losing streak. After introducing the teams, rampant energy flowed throughout the gym as MTSU served first. Each set was tight as both teams continued to battle.  

The Blue Raiders won the first set 25-17 as the girls started neck and neck in points. After two timeouts, Middle Tennessee led 17-15. MTSU scored eight points over the next seven minutes to reach game point.  

MTSU felt they were a better team than Alabama A&M overall but weren’t satisfied with Tuesday’s performance, middle blocker Kiera Booth said.

“We didn’t play very clean, and we knew it,” Booth said following the win.

Alabama A&M started with the more dominant lead in the second set, but MTSU didn’t quit. Middle Tennessee fought back to take a 28-26 win.

MTSU persisted in the third set by winning 25-11. After a point violation for MTSU, Booth aced the Bulldogs to gift the Blue Raiders their 11th point. Referees overturned MTSU’s match point, but it didn’t matter in the end as Middle Tennessee struck back to take it anyway.

The on-court energy radiated throughout the gym on the program’s Greek life night. The Band of Blue, MTSU cheerleaders and Lightning gave spunk to a Tuesday night crowd.

The home environment adds fuel to the fire for this Blue Raider team, Booth said of the home atmosphere.

Despite being a transfer graduate student, Booth has found chemistry with the rest of the team. Freshman Emma Nilson feels the team has already built a strong connection in the young season.

“It’s really nice to have a great support system,” Nilson said of her teammates.

Emma Nilson (front) and MTSU volleyball shakes hands with Alabama A&M after the match, 9-24-2024. (Photo by Caitlyn Hajek)

After battling injuries early on, Nilson has discovered a newfound appreciation for being able to stay on the court.

“To be able to come out here and play free and feel great is honestly something I took for granted,” Nilson said.

MTSU looks to continue its winning streak after a dominating performance against the Bulldogs. The Blue Raiders open conference play Sept. 26 on the road against Sam Houston.

Linsey Mata is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines 

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here