David Bowie – Let’s Dance | Album Review

By Terry Morrow // Staff Writer

Just when you thought David Bowie was never going to do another decent album and all dance music was buried with demise of disco, David Bowie and Nile Rodgers collaborate to bring a dance hungry America one of the best albums of the year.

Mind you, this isn’t a disco LP. David Bowie is a rocker all the way. Although Nile Rodgers was a producer for such disco groups like Chic and Diana Ross, this collection of eight toe-tapping rock forays will get you on the floor and make you want to remember how to do the bump. Cancel all your appointments, and rush to get this album.

The title cut has already proven to be one of this year’s biggest pop singles, and that’s just the beginning. Many strong follow-up tunes could make excellent singles. “Modern Love” is a feverish number with driving drums similiar to the lively sound found in Thomas Dolby’s “She Blinded me with Science.” Other catchy offerings are the mid-tempo of “China Girl” and the bouncy “Shake It.”

The lyrics take back seat to the arrangements, and the listener really doesn’t mind. Bowie’s performance is extraordinary and uncompromised by Rodger’s easily recoginizeable structure. Congratulations to both Bowie and Rodgers for giving the record buying public something to sing about.