Two-Tone: Come for the show, stay for the gallery

By Claire Osburn, MTSU Sidelines A&E Editor

Mufreesboro’s newest art gallery, Two-Tone, will host the annual fall MTSU student art show.

The gallery on West Lytle Street will feature student artwork from Oct. 16-22 from 6-8 p.m. The MTSU Student Art Alliance is coordinating the event.

“It is a juried show, so we pick an active, working artist to select the pieces that will be displayed,” said Kelsey Young, SAA president and senior studio major. “This time we went with Bryce Brisco. He is a resident at the Appalachian Center for Craft — it’s in Smithville — he is a working artist and got his masters in ceramics at Ohio University. We submit to him all the pieces, and then he gets back to us what makes it in the show and what doesn’t.”

Although 76 pieces in every medium were submitted, only 15 were selected.

The opening night of the show will feature an awards ceremony, including “Best of Show,” and refreshments. Anyone is welcome to attend.

“I want to provide people in and around the Murfreesboro area a place to be able to show and possibly sell their work,” said Todd Wilson, gallery owner. “I’m trying to bridge the gap between people who want to see art and people who are producing art, trying to bring them together.”

Wilson, a tattoo artist at Icon, opened up the gallery a few months ago because he saw the need for this type of creative outlet in town. Two-Tone displays pieces by local artists that can be purchased.

To decide what he displays, Wilson accepts portfolios from local artists and chooses the pieces that will fit best with the gallery. He also switches out the pieces monthly to avoid staleness.

The gallery is only open Thursday-Sunday, 5-9 p.m., creating an exclusive feel.

“I try to convey a certain attitude and a certain type of atmosphere at the gallery and that above all is what I try to promote,” Wilson said.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com