C-USA Matchups to watch for in Fall 2014

With last season’s finishes and the fall sports season looming in the distance, here is a rundown of last season and a lineup for some of the Blue Raider contests that have already been announced for the 2014-15 season.

Blue Raider Football

The Blue Raider football team will face their first major test of the 2014-15 season on September 6 when they travel to Minneapolis to take on Minnesota. The Blue Raiders last took on Minnesota on September 2, 2010, when MT hosted the Golden Gophers in a 24-17 loss. Last year’s most exciting game happened when head coach Rick Stockstill and the team won in the closing seconds against Marshall last season.

Other key games will include rival Western Kentucky traveling to Floyd Stadium to take part in MT’s annual Blackout game. MT will also host BYU this season on November 1 in a rematch of last year’s contest. The Blue Raiders traveled to LaVell Edwards Stadium in a 37-10 loss to the Cougars in their last matchup on Sept. 27, 2013.

Blue Raider Men’s Hoops

Kermit Davis’ men’s basketball team defeated Donnie Tyndall’s Southern Miss squad and the UAB Blazers in two thrillers, while posting a 24-9 record and reaching the semifinals of the C-USA Championship last season.

This year, MT men’s basketball team was announced as a member of the inaugural 2014 Emerald Coast Classic. With MT being announced as a member of the eight-team field, the Blue Raiders could have a potential matchup with powerhouse teams Cincinnati, Creighton or Ole Miss.

Lady Raider Hoops

The women’s basketball team posted an astounding 29-5 overall record with huge wins over Miami, Clemson and Southern Mississippi to win the C-USA Championship. The Blue Raiders also reached the NCAA tournament as the No. 8 seed, but were eliminated by the No. 9-seeded Oregon State Beavers in the first round.

Lady Raider Soccer

The MT women’s soccer team finished with a 6-8-4 record, but posted an upset performance in a 1-0 victory over Tennessee on Sept. 13, 2013.

Women’s Volleyball

MT’s volleyball team posted a 17-13 overall record with a key win over Notre Dame and a first-round appearance in the C-USA Championship.

The 2014-15 The MT women’s basketball team, women’s soccer team and MT volleyball team have yet to release their schedule or possible regular-season tournaments for the upcoming season.