Blue Raiders Able to Secure Win Against Bulldogs

By Cody Lester

The Blue Raiders won against the Cumberland University Bulldogs on Thursday night, playing with home field advantage.

In regular play, the Blue Raiders were able to finish five innings with a final score of 8-0. It was the Blue Raiders’ first game of the fall season.

The Blue Raiders started off strong when Alma Cortez was able to secure the first point in the first inning. Danielle Munoz was also able to contribute to the Raiders strong start when she scored.

In the second inning Megan Chocallo was able to hold off the Bulldogs and maintain the Blue Raiders’ lead with two strong strikeouts.

The Blue Raiders were able to take control of the game as they scored five points in the fourth. To start off the points, Randi Cookus scored on an RBI hit from Morgan Harris. At the next at bat, Cortez helped the Raiders when she hit a ball deep in right center field, scoring Harris and Marinna Shadley.

Cortez was able to reach home plate by a hit by Munoz. Lauren Riddell hit a double that drove home Cor’Nisha Birdsong to score the final point of the inning.

The score stayed at 8-0 in the fifth inning when neither team was able to score and regular play ended.  The Blue Raiders entered into situational play with the advantage. In situational play the Blue Raiders were able to keep their drive alive and end with an 8-4 victory over the Bulldogs.

The next game of the fall season for the Blue Raiders will be on September 27 as they face Columbia State. The next home game of the season for the Blue Raiders will be against Trevecca on October 8th at 6 p.m.

To contact sports editors Connor Grott and Ritchie Simmons, email sports@mtsusidelines.com