Tennessee Secretary of State Visits MTSU for Constitution Day

By Lindsey Buchanan

Contributing Writer

Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett visited MTSU’s campus to promote Constitution Day and emphasize the importance of civic engagement for college students on Wednesday, Sept. 17.

Constitution Day was designated by an act of Congress in 2005 and is a nationally observed event that celebrates the document written in 1787 which defines the supreme law of the United States. MTSU partnered with the American Democracy Project and Tennessee Citizen Action for the event.

Dr. Mary Evins, the head of the American Democracy Project chapter at MTSU said the day is meant to recognize the universality of the Constitution and show how much it affects every citizen in their day-to-day life.

Stands were set up around campus to allow students to register to vote easily in between classes.

Students and faculty in each department took turns reading through the 8,500-word document aloud, some professors even requiring it of their classes.

Hargett said he wanted to reach out to students and inspire them to become involved with their community and their government.

“We’re trying to encourage people to get involved in the electoral process and find different ways to participate in the world around them,” said Hargett.

For more campus news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Max Smith, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com