Student Volunteers Clean Litter From Stormwater

MTSU’s Stormwater program and volunteers cleaned out different areas on and around campus on Monday, October 27 and Wednesday, October 29.

Stormwater, as defined on the program’s website, is “water runoff after a rain storm from streets, construction sites, parking lots, buildings and other areas that goes directly into storm drains and eventually into local streams and rivers. This water can pick up pollutants along the way to these streams and rivers.”

To combat said pollutants, Stormwater volunteers collected litter and natural refuse to dispose of them properly and clear the roads and ditches.

On Monday, a team of volunteers cleaned the sidewalks and ditches near the softball field as well as the marsh and ditches at the Rutherford parking lot. Wednesday, they took their efforts to the historic Oakland mansion off of Maney Avenue where they cleaned a creek as well as the walking paths. Volunteers put in a total of eight hours of work over the two days.

“[The stormwater outreach] helps me give back to the community by cleaning up the mess others make,” said Denis Nackley, a junior studying Mass Communications.

“I’m out here because I want to clean the campus and help improve the environment we live in,” said David Kim, a freshman studying international business.

For more updates, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, or on Twitter @Sidelines_News.

To contact news editors Max Smith and Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.