Blue Raider Volleyball Falls 3-0 in Final Game

The Blue Raider volleyball team (9-21, 5-11 C-USA)  traveled to Bowling Green for their season finale against Western Kentucky (27-5, 15-1 C-USA), falling in three straight sets Saturday night.

Junior Chelsea Ross finished with a team-high 13 kills and 12 digs for her 15th double-double of the year.

Freshman Haley Morton and senior Ailime de Freitas combined for 21 of the team’s 26 assists. Senior Monet Marshall and sophomore Jazmyne Johnson played well defensively with six blocks each.

The Blue Raiders had a tough matchup as Western Kentucky was a top C-USA team all year, with the Hilltoppers finishing 15-1 in C-USA play.

The Hilltoppers never gave MTSU a real chance to compete, holding the team to under 20 points each set.

Western Kentucky put together a remarkable match overall with a .317 hit percentage coupled with 47 assists and 46 digs.

The third set turned out to be a back-and-forth contest with four lead changes and 12 tie scores, when there had only been one tie score and lead change up to that point.

No team led more than two points early in the third set, but the Hilltoppers scored seven straight points to win the match.

Although the Blue Raiders would have liked to have been more competitive at the end of the year, the team looks prompt for a strong 2015 season with 12 of their 15 players returning next year.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport