Student Cited in Ebola Threat

Meagan White/Sidelines

One student was cited with disorderly conduct after a hazardous materials team was called to campus on Tuesday, Nov. 25 to investigate a “suspicious package” reported behind the Business and Aerospace Building.

Freshman Jordan Crafton, 18, of Nashville, was cited for disorderly conduct and possession of alcohol under 21 after placing a two-gallon white bucket in the courtyard of the BAS just before Thanksgiving break last week.

Around 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, a 19-year-old student called campus police to tell them a “suspicious bucket” labeled “DO NOT OPEN EBOLA” was sitting in the middle of the sidewalk area. A “liquid looking substance” was inside the unopened container and several agencies were notified of the incident.

Murfreesboro Fire Department, MTSU Environmental Health and Safety, and the Murfreesboro hazmat team arrived at the BAS to investigate the incident. Officers taped off the area until other agencies arrived.

The contents of the bucket were “a non-hazardous substance,” according to a police report. The bucket was determined safe and removed from campus.

For more campus news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Pink Floyd Tribute Band to Perform at Tucker Theatre
Next Two Killed in Fiery Crash on I-24