Students Showcase Projects at Fall Listening Night

Match Records, MTSU’s student record label, hosted a Listening Night on Friday in the Student Union Ballroom.

Recording industry students and professors gathered for a crowd of students and faculty to showcase the program’s latest works. The program was open to any recording industry student who wished to participated.

The night consisted of 24 projects, all of which were introduced by the artists and producers themselves, creating an intimate setting for them to explain the intent of their work. Each song was played for the audience in its entirety while images from the song’s production were projected above the stage, giving the audience a peak into the recording process.

The night began with a track produced by Kyle Holland, Cameron Arnold and Taylor Hudson. It quickly turned into a high-energy evening when “Twerkulees” by Matt Strode played next. The professionalism of these young students was evident as one standout track after another played for the standing room only crowd.

Match Records artists Exum and Luke Caccetta also debuted their latest singles during the event.

Exum brought real hip-hop back to the table with “Addicted,” a catchy rap featuring high quality production from Nic West, James Belt, Chris Holford and Jon Russell. If this single was just a taste of what is to come with the Georgia native’s upcoming EP, listeners should prepare for an exuberant experience.

Luke Caccetta began to conclude the night with his signature country twang and impressive vocals. His single “Cue the Rain,” produced by Paul Rodgers, James Belt, Ryan Maher and Caleb Shiver, was nothing less than a hit.

Listening Night ended with “A Very Metal X-Mas,” an unsurprisingly heavy track by Cody LaBelle, John Crabtree and Chad Rittenberry that put everyone in a holiday mood and ended the event on a celebratory note.

Follow Olivia Ladd on Twitter at @LivSlaton.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com