Doc Gives an Intimate Look at Skrillex’s 2014 Bonnaroo SuperJam

Skrillex partnered with Bonnaroo last summer for a SuperJam that could only be described an eclectic and electrifying experience.

A seven part short documentary was captured with the help of director and photographer Danny Clinch. It was released this week through AT&T U-verse.

Each year the SuperJam is a collective performance of artists that culminate to make an all night long “jam” session for Bonnaroo festival-goers. There is typically an MC, a curator, various musicians and featured artists. Different genres are combined and classic songs from the past 50 years are covered. Skrillex curated one of the Bonnaroo’s three SuperJam’s this past June with assistance of artists such as bassist Thundercat and the members of indie rock band Warpaint.

The first installment of the documentary is titled “Welcome to SuperJam,” while the next five are named after the songs performed and feature behind-the-scenes footage of song’s rehearsal and ends with the actual performance. The last installment is a wrap-up of all of the artists working together on the day of the performance.

New and old bands combined when Robby Krieger of The Doors and Matt Schultz of Cage the Elephant came together to perform their rendition of “Break On Through (To the Other Side).” Others such as Lauryn Hill, Janelle Monae, A$AP Mob, Damian Marley and Big Gigantic are featured in other parts of the short film.

The documentary did a great job of showcasing all that it takes to make a SuperJam happen, while also showing insight from the performers. It covered the process from the beginning, to choosing the collaborators, to showtime.

The best part was that it showed a side to Skrillex that not many get to see. The EDM artist played guitar and other organic instruments throughout, displaying his musical knowledge that is often hidden behind his bass drops.

The documentary definitely breaks genre barriers and EDM stereotypes by combining such a wide range of influences. It was tastefully artistic and gave an intimate peak into the world of musicians and festivals to the viewer. 

Follow Olivia Ladd on Twitter at @LivSlaton.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com