Music Journalist to Speak on Ralph Peer’s Impact

Music journalist Barry Mazor will speak on his book Ralph Peer and the Making of Popular Roots Music on Monday.

Mazor, who’s written for the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and Nashville Scene, will discuss the impact of Victor Records A&R agent and member of the Country Music Hall of Fame Ralph Peer. Peer brought genres such as blues, country and gospel to the forefront of the American music scene.

He was responsible for the famed “Bristol Sessions,” which kick-started the careers of country legends Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family. He also published the Jimmie Davis classic “You Are My Sunshine,” in addition to best-selling songs by Buddy Holly and Bing Crosby. His publishing company, PeerMusic is the world’s largest independent music publishing firm.

The Center for Popular Music-sponsored event will take place at 4:30 p.m. in room 160 of the College of Education Building and is free and open to the public.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com