President Obama Arrives in Knoxville

President Barack Obama is in Knoxville to speak at Pellissippi State Community College where he will unveil his new initiative to provide two years of community college tuition for free.

The president landed in Air Force One at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base at noon today, along with Sen. Lamar Alexander, Sen. Bob Corker and Rep. Jimmy Duncan. Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden arrived in Air Force Two about 20 minutes prior to the president’s arrival. President Obama greeted Gov. Bill Haslam and Knoxville Mayor Madeline Rogero and spoke briefly with Col. Thomas S. Cauthen, Commander of the 134th Air Refueling Wing.

“I think it’s great that our base can come together and support the president visiting East Tennessee,” said 2nd Lt. Marcie Mascaro. “It’s exciting for us because this isn’t something that happens every day.”

Today’s visit is part of a week-long trek across the country to announce presidential policies on housing, economic development and education. It also will mark the president’s second trip to the Tennessee in just over month. He delivered a speech on immigration reform in Nashville on Dec. 9.

They will also visit the Techmer PM facility in Clinton, Tenn., where President Obama will announce initiatives aimed at creating more manufacturing jobs.

For continuing updates on President Obama’s Knoxville visit, follow us on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.

Follow Dylan Skye Aycock on Twitter at @DylSkye.

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com