Friday, July 12, 2024

MTSU Hosts 40th Annual Groundhog Day Luncheon

by Ethan Clark // Contributing Writer

MTSU hosted it’s 40th annual Groundhog Day Luncheon in the Murphy Center to celebrate the start of the Middle Tennessee State University’s baseball season on Monday morning.

The luncheon started 42 years ago when the start of the school’s baseball season happened to fall on the same day as Groundhog Day. Since then it has become a major fundraising event and a time to bring MTSU’s baseball community together.

Graduates, patrons and current baseball players filled the arena to honor MTSU’s baseball team and all those who have helped it in recent years.

Coach Jim McGuire gave the keynote speech, acknowledging all of the hard work this year’s team has put into preparing for the season. McGuire also recognized the many people who have helped and supported MTSU’s baseball program over the past several decades.

“It’s an unbelievable tradition to be a part of for last 23 vyears, and I appreciate everything that’s been done,” McGuire said during his keynote address, mentioning the years he has spent working for the team.

Check out our gallery of the event below:

For campus events and updates follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com