Afroman, Big Smo, The Weeks Plan Murfreesboro Shows

UPDATE 3/18: Afroman and Big Smo’s scheduled performances have been cancelled. More details can be found here.

Artists including Afroman, Big Smo and The Weeks are set to play local nightclub TEMPT this spring.

The venue, located just off the square at 315 West Main St., will be hosting a variety of shows from genres across the board throughout the semester. Here are some highlights from their calendar:

Thelma and the Sleaze (Feb. 19) – The all-female trio of Thelma and Sleaze are set to bring their heavy, hard rock tracks that made them one of our favorite acts of 2013’s Music in the Middle Festival to town tonight at 8 p.m. Opening acts include Nashville’s Megajoos and local favorites The Acorn People and Mouth Reader.

Kevin Gates (Feb. 21) – Fresh off his much-hyped mixtape Luca Brasi 2 and its lead single “I Don’t Get Tired (#IDGT),” the Louisiana rapper is set to play a sold out set at the nightclub Saturday night. So, if you’re just now hearing about this show and need tickets, you’ll either have to spring for a VIP table or hit up Craigslist.

The Weeks (March 5) – After playing a string of festivals including Bonnaroo, Forecastle and Live on the Green last year, The Weeks are set to return to town the first week of March. The Kings of Leon protégés will surely deliver an energetic set with openers Blackfoot Gypsies and Ranch Ghost. Check out our interview with the band from Forecastle below:

Big Smo (March 11) – “Hick-hop” and A&E reality show star Big Smo will be making the trip up from his “Kuntry Ranch” in Unionville, Tennessee for a headlining set in March. While no opening acts have been announced, seeing a man whose nickname is “Hick Ross” is worth the price of admission alone.

Afroman (March 27) – Despite his recent arrest for punching a female fan during a show in Biloxi, Mississippi, the “Colt 45” rapper is set to bring his “Best Buds Tour” to Murfreesboro in March. And don’t worry; he’s apologized for the assault and says he punched the woman because he thought she was a male heckler and not just “because he got high.” Opening acts will be Muck Sticky, Sedated and Money $ Layne.

EOTO & ill Gates (April 2) – Experimental electronic band EOTO  and bass music producer ill Gates will bring lasers and all kinds of futuristic sounds to TEMPT on April 2. Opening support will be from local producer Comatosik.

Datsik (April 11) – Dubstep DJ Datsik will bring his “Ninja Nation Tour” to Murfreesboro on April 11, with ETC(!)ETC(!) and Bear Grillz. The latter of which is unfortunately not Man vs. Wild host Bear Grylls, but instead a dude dressed in a bear costume who makes EDM.

RITTZ (May 22) – Georgia rapper RITTZ just wrapped up a tour with Yelawolf and will be bringing tracks from his latest album Next to Nothing (as well as his epic hair) back to the Boro in May with Kxng Crooked, Horse Shoe Gang and JHornay.  Check out our photos from recent Nashville performance with Yelawolf below:

For more unnecessary music ramblings, follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com