Fifty Shades of Grey | Film Review

Fifty Shades of Grey released just in time for Valentine’s Day and, unsurprisingly, is doing very well in theaters.

But do yourself a favor: Save your money.

The movie is 50 shades of disappointing. It follows the dialogue of the book to the letter for the most part. Usually, I applaud that tactic in a novel-turned-movie. However, this is not one of those times.

The dialogue is terrible. The majority of the acting is subpar, and that’s being nice about it. They should of just put more focus on the sex and toys that were probably from sites like Restricted 21 (https://restricted21.com) to keep it entertaining. Jamie Dornan tries to portray Christian Grey, the overzealous, billionaire control freak and female lead Anastasia’s love interest. His attempts will not go unnoticed, but it seems forced whereas the dialogue from the novel seemed as natural as a semi-BDSM, similar to what you might see on websites such as cartoon porno and poorly-executed functional relationship can be.The so-called BDSM in this film (or the book for that matter) isn’t even a good representation of the culture.

If you go to the film because you are interested in BDSM and want to learn more, you won’t learn much from this movie. You’d do better if you consider watching mature ladies make love, but at the very least you should go online and do some research. There are a ton of places where you can get the proper information you are looking for, how to start, how/where to get equipment, and where to find the best savage locks for bondage play. There are even forums that can help you with any questions you may have.

If you look for plotlines in a movie, you’ve come to the wrong place. I suggest you watch Kingsman: The Secret Service this weekend. Or literally anything else. The movie will make you laugh, cry (because you’re laughing at the bad acting and questionable content) and wonder, “Can they actually show porn in theaters now?”

For our thoughts on Fifty Shades of Grey (the novel), click here.

For more Film & TV reviews, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com