Wednesday, April 24, 2024

What to Watch on Your Snow Day

Well, it appears that most of Tennessee is still under lockdown via snow, MTSU included. So if you’re like me and are trapped indoors — whether it’s due to icy road conditions or just the fact that it’s really freaking cold — here are my recommendations for what to watch on your day indoors.

Snow Day

Snow Day is a Nickelodeon-produced family comedy that came out in 2000 and is one of my childhood favorites. It’s centered around, you guessed it, a snow day in small town. The kids spend the day trying to stop the evil “Snowplowman” while the teenage protagonist Hal tries to win over the way-out-of-his-league crush.

Also, Chevy Chase plays a weatherman, Iggy Pop plays an ice rink DJ and a prepubescent Josh Peck gets covered in ketchup. What more could you want?

Saturday Night Live‘s 40th Anniversary Special

America’s favorite sketch-comedy show turned 40 this past weekend, and they held one hell of a birthday party.

Special guests included: Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Justin Timberlake, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Chevy Chase, Tina Fey, Peyton Manning, Sarah Palin, Betty White, Bradley Cooper, Steve Martin and so many more incredibly famous/hilarious people.

And that’s not even counting musical guests Paul McCartney, Kanye West, Paul Simon and Miley Cyrus, the latter of which performed a not-too-shabby rendition of Simon’s “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.”

At the very least, watch the Celebrity Jeopardy and Wayne’s World segments. Will Ferrell’s Alex Trebek has to deal with Tony Bennett (Alec Baldwin), Matthew McConaughey (Jim Carrey), Burt Reynolds (Norm Macdonald) and the always amusing Sean Connery (Darrell Hammond) while everyone’s favorite ’90s public access hosts Wayne and Garth (Mike Myers and Dana Carvey) tell a few jokes at the show’s (and Kanye West’s) expense.

House of Cards

House of Cards’ third season premieres on Feb. 27, so, with your next now-freed up 24 hours, you’ll have just enough time to catch up on most of the series. While there’s not much snow involved, I guess you could say Kevin Spacey’s Frank Underwood is ice-cold.

Ha. See what I did there?

Anyhow, this political drama centered around Underwood’s political maneuvering on Capitol Hill is one of the most addicting shows on Netflix and features award-winning performances from Spacey and Robin Wright, who plays Frank’s equally chilling wife Claire. All puns aside, it’s a fantastic show and is definitely worth a few hours of your snow day time.

Spongebob Squarepants’ “The Snowball Effect”

If you ask most millennials what their favorite childhood cartoon was, the majority (at least of those who were born in the mid-90s) will answer with the one, the only, Spongebob Squarepants.

This episode sees Spongebob and Patrick face off in an epic snowball fight, all while annoying Squidward, as usual. It may not be the best episode of the series, but it’s sure to bring back a ton of nostalgia. While you won’t find this episode streaming on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime, that’s nothing a quick Google search can’t help solve.

Or you could just watch Frozen for the eleventh time. I can’t tell you what to do.

For more uneccessary pop culture ramblings, follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com