Wednesday, April 24, 2024

‘No Love For The Drowning’ by Earl Burrows | Album Review

Kyra Walton // Contributing writer

The Nashville-based band Earl Burrows set the bar high with their debut album, No Love For the Drowning. Filled with action-packed guitar licks, soulful piano and other instrumental combinations, Burrows’ first album is one of a kind.

Earl Burrows consists of brothers Mark and Joel Watrous, Carson Medders and James Freshwater. Their debut album gives us a view into the mind of Watrous, the band’s creator. Before he formed Earl Burrows, Watrous was a member of The Shins and The Raconteurs, as well as a tour member playing guitar for Loudermilk and Gosling. He and his brother Joel, also a front man in the music industry, have remarkable knowledge of music and instrumentation, continually prove they understand what goes into creating an awesome song.

No Love For the Drowning is a 10-song story of romance and lost love with sultry chords and changing tempos that keep you guessing. This band understands the essence of age-old rock and adds an edgy pop undertone that makes every song on this album a hit.

Mark Watrous’ complex musical showcase and expertise have the potential to bring Earl Burrows to the top and give them a chance to become one of Nashville’s top indie bands and beyond. MXDWN is already streaming Earl Burrow’s song “Go Home Girl,” but their whole album is packed with quality music that’ll leave the listener playing it on repeat. There are big expectations for Earl Burrows and hopes that No Love For the Drowning will be followed up with an even better album.

For more album reviews and updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com