Icona Pop energizes Murphy Center

Atlanta Northcutt // Contributing writer

Icona Pop treated MTSU to an intense, adrenaline-filled concert at the Murphy Center Thursday night. Hosted by MTSU’s Signature Events Committee, the show was free for all students, faculty and alumni.

Despite the dark and gloomy weather, the crowd inside was bright and pulsing with energy. As Aino Jawo and Caroline Hjelt,took the stage, the fans started jumping and screaming in excitement.

“I need to know that all of you here tonight are ready to party,” Icona Pop’s Aino Jawo said.

The show included the songs “It’s My Party,” “Clap Snap” and “Girlfriend.”

Icona Pop concluded the concert with their biggest hit, “I Love It,” which was nominated for the Top Electronic/Dance Song at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards. Since then, the Swedish pop duo has gained worldwide popularity and toured with international pop performers like Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and One Direction. 

Aino and Hjelt played keyboards and performed elaborate dance routines at Thursday night’s concert. The accompanying female DJ made the show even stronger with bass and beat sounds, their vibrations rolling through the auditorium’s floor and the audience members’ bodies. Icona Pop had the audience dancing and singing along to every song. The light show that went along with the dance and electropop style of music complemented every song Icona Pop played, enhancing the visual elements of the performance.

“The energy here is so amazing,” Jawo commented when the crowd went berserk over their hit singles “Emergency” and “I Love It.”

The band enjoyed interacting with the crowd. At one point, Jawo jumped off the stage and gave hugs to thrilled audience members. The love was reciprocated as the crowd gathered around her, trying to reach out and touch her. 

MTSU students look forward to event organizers bringing many more large-scale musicians to campus in the future.

For more music news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.