MTSU students and faculty celebrate ‘The Golden Girls’

Robert “Goochi” James // Contributing writer

This year marks the 30th anniversary of one of the most beloved television comedies of all time: The Golden Girls.

For seven seasons, these stunning seniors brought laughter, tears and joy to millions of women, children and men – yes, men – around the world. The series won several awards during its run, including 11 Emmys and four Golden Globes.

With this show, Blanche (Rue McClanahan), Dorothy (Bea Arthur), Rose (Betty White) and Sophia (Estelle Getty) helped create a new female-focused sitcom dynamic. The way they got through their daily lives, how they overcame obstacles and how they handled their personal relationships made this a remarkable show.

I remember having to watch this show with my mother, who started watching because of her mother.

“It’s Golden Girls time – go pop some popcorn, son!” she would tell me. I was around 6-years-old when I saw my first episode and loved it, but I didn’t become a huge fan until later on in life.

With this in mind, I decided to find a few fellow Golden Girls fans on campus. Here’s what they had to say:

goldengirlsfan1

The fan: Josh Nelson, graduate student in Criminal Justice.

Favorite character: “Dorothy, because of her attitude. My mom and grandma forced me to watch this show.”

What he likes about the show: “(It’s) four women trying to make it day by day, and seeing how they get through issues. … (I) love the show; it’s a good show.”

goldengirlsfan2

The fan: Katie Castleberry, junior majoring in Special Education

Favorite character: “Dorothy. I can relate to her; she’s mean.”

First time she saw it: “I was probably in the 7th grade. I watched it with my mom. … When I go back and visit, she says, ‘Hey, let’s watch Golden Girls.”

What she likes about the show: “They are old, they make me laugh and they have fun. It’s just like me living with my roommates.”

goldengirlsfan3

The fan: Adam Proctor, junior majoring in Economics

Favorite character: “Blanche. It was her personality, and she made me laugh.”

First time he saw it: “I was very young, and I watched it with my dad.”

What he likes about the show: “The really witty writing, and the interplay between characters.”

goldengirlsfan4

The fan: Taylor Liebhart, senior majoring in Advertising

Favorite character: “Blanche; I like her personality. She’s outgoing and honest – maybe too honest.”

First time she saw it: “During the summer of 2012. Now I have DVDs.”

What she likes about the show: “My grandma and I spent quality time with each other when we watched.”

goldengirlsfan5

The fan: Professor Leon Alligood, College of Media and Entertainment

Favorite character:  “Rose. She was clueless as can be. Also Blanche – she was sharp.”

What he likes about the show: “(It was) four unlikely character types living together. These were all our grandmas.”

Even though all of the cast members are gone – except Betty White, who is a 93-years-young – people still watch and appreciate The Golden Girls. Whether fans watch by themselves or with family, the Girls are still as loved now as they were 30 years ago.

For more TV show look-backs, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

1. “Golden Girls” is one of those shows you can never forget. You do not see many of these kinds of shows now-a-days. This year marks 30 years for the show. In my opinion, the best shows came about in the ‘90s. For my generation, “That’s So Raven” and “Lizzie McGuire” will be one of those shows that will always be remembered for years-just like “Golden Girls”

What do we like about these kinds of shows? The script. It was always very witty and real. The acting is genuine. Some shows have catch phrases that will be remembered because of how funny or clever the phrase is. In “That’s So Raven”, main character Raven Baxter says “Ya nasty!” It is still seen in memes and GIFs to this day.

Good shows are one you can relate to. My generation related to the ones mentioned above because they were shot in a middle school/high school scenery. Just because the “Golden Girls” characters are older than we are, it does not mean it cannot be relatable. They can relate to our grandmothers. One of the things I liked about the show is imagining “What if my grandmother was starring in this show?” It’s great. Never forget “Golden Girls.”