Murfreesboro’s Oaklands Mansion gets spooky for Halloween

Story and photo by Holden Phillips // Contributor

October is once again upon us in Murfreesboro, and the chill of Halloween is in the air. Many haunted houses and spooky attractions have been testing the brave souls willing to explore them, including the Oaklands Historic House Museum.

Throughout October, the historic site offers visitors a darker take on the home’s tour. Connor Moss, the museum’s curator and historic grounds keeper, says the tour focuses on death during the Victorian Era.

“Well, typically during the month of October we like to highlight the death and dying culture of the Victorian Era,” Moss said. “So people will be able to get a taste of how people in 1860s Murfreesboro reacted to death in the family.”

The tour also has the Oakland’s Home dressed for the occasion with funeral decorations and even period coffins.

October tours at the Oaklands House Museum, located at 900 North Maney Ave., run until the end of October. The tour’s hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Listen to the audio story below:

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/230203611″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

This article was published in cooperation with Jennifer Woodard’s Audio & Podcasting course.

For more community features, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.