Saturday Morning Farmers Market charms historic Murfreesboro Square

Taylor Ward // Contributing writer

Murfreesboro’s Saturday Market on the Square is a great place for families and members of the community to shop for local goods and fresh produce. Local farmers and businesses gather in the square every Saturday morning from 8 a.m. until noon, to sell a variety of products and bring the seasonal items to the market from June through October.

Farmers are eager to promote the purchase of local produce not only for business, but buying local is considered to be healthier for the community as a whole. Many people said that interacting with people in the community was well worth the trip to the market. The atmosphere is quaint and friendly, and it is seen as a cheap and educational outing for the children.

Benefits of shopping the weekly market include friendly conversation and a delightful array of goodies. Mr. Charles Hamilton of Molly’s Sweetshop sells the most delicious honey and baked goods. He and his wife, Molly, travel throughout Tennessee attending farmers markets and have been attending the Murfreesboro farmers market for five years.

Janet Tucker of T&J Farms mentioned that the Saturday Market once participated in a donation that sent leftover goods to feed those in need at the end of each day. She claimed that the market has not done this recently, but she would like to donate her produce to those in the Murfreesboro community who could truly benefit from it.

The Saturday Market is a lively community affair that can be fun for all members of the family. Musicians gather and perform casually for the public and create a warm, small-town feel around the historic Rutherford County Courthouse.

The last two markets will run on Oct. 17 and Oct. 24.

Information about the Main Street Farmers Market can be found here, and other announcements can be found by liking the Murfreesboro Saturday Market on Facebook.

For more community events, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines

To contact lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com