Songwriter Lamont Dozier to become a Fellow of MTSU’s Center for Popular Music

Lacey Kanipe // Contributing writer

Lamont Dozier, dubbed the #1 songwriter in America, will receive an honor from the Center for Popular Music this Wednesday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. in the Keathley University Center Theater. The event is free and open to the public.

Dozier is part of the renowned songwriting team Holland-Dozier-Holland and has written over 54 #1 hits for Motown artists, including The Supremes, Marvin Gaye and The Four Tops. His incredible story continues with a career that spans over fifty years. Dozier has won over 19 awards in that time, including the Billboard Magazine Award, a Grammy and a Golden Globe.

He continues to work with today’s artists like Kanye West, Joss Stone and the Black Eyed Peas. According to Dozier’s biography one of his favorite things to do is educate young, aspiring artists about the do’s and don’ts of the music industry. He wishes to give back the knowledge that he has learned throughout his many years as a songwriter and major player in the business.

These reasons are why the Center for Popular Music is proud to announce that Dozier will become a Fellow of the CPM. The CPM Fellows program was established to honor individuals who have achieved remarkable accomplishments in the music industry. It is the CPM’s highest honor. Dozier will become the second Fellow, after Bary Gibb was named inaugural Fellow in October 2013.

The award ceremony will also include a conversation between MTSU Recording Industry faculty member Fred Cannon (Dozier’s former manager) and Dozier, which will surely be an educational and exciting experience for students interested in songwriting as well as the music industry.

For more campus and celebrity events, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Rhiannon Gilbert, email lifestyles@mtusidelines.com.