Blue Raider Soccer Impresses in Last Regular Season Weekend

Jonathan Clark Jr. // Contributing Writer

Middle Tennessee 2-1 UTEP

Middle Tennessee (9-5-3) womens’ soccer opened the last conference weekend seeking a bid to the C-USA tournament. The Blue Raiders started the weekend with their third straight double overtime game. Their first game came against the UTEP Lady Miners (11-7-2).

Junior Courteney Gibson had a great game, setting up both of the Blue Raiders’ goals in the 2-1 victory. Senior Tori Hawkins scored her fourth goal of the season in the 25th minute off the assist from Gibson.  Gibson was vital in the second overtime, finding space and making a great pass to freshman Morgan Mauck, who converted the game winning header.

Middle Tennessee 1-1 Old Dominion

The second game of the weekend came against the Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (7-11-1). Sunday’s contest was another tightly contested game for Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders and Lady Monarchs both wanted to to finish off the regular season strong.

Madison Hogan put Old Dominion on the board first, converting her sixth goal of the year, just over two minutes into Sundays’ game.

The Blue Riders responded quickly. Courteney Gibson continued her strong weekend play, with another brilliant passing play, once again setting up Morgan Mauck for the score in the fourth minute. This knotted the game at 1-1. The two teams would combine for 24 shots throughout the second half and two overtime periods, but neither found the back of the net.

The draw wasn’t the exact result the Blue Raider women wanted, but it gave the team confidence as they prepare for the C-USA tournament this weekend.

The Blue Raiders will start the Conference USA tournament on Nov. 4 in Miami, Florida. Middle Tennessee open up against Rice, the defending C-USA champions.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Interim Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.