Blue Raiders hire Tony Franklin as new offensive coordinator

Photo courtesy of MT Athletics

Middle Tennessee announced on Friday that Tony Franklin has been hired away from University of California to become the team’s new offensive coordinator.

Franklin has been the Golden Bears’ offensive coordinator since 2013 after he followed head coach Sonny Dykes from Louisiana Tech. Franklin was with Dykes at La Tech from 2010-2012 following his one-year stint in Murfreesboro with the Blue Raiders in 2009.

“When Laura and I decided to move back east in order to be closer to our families, we were thrilled to have a chance to join Rick Stockstill’s staff and the Blue Raider family,” Franklin said in a news release. “Our one season with the Blue Raiders in 2009 was one of our favorite journeys. We look forward to helping Coach Stock and the Blue Raider family achieve unprecedented success.”

Franklin created a high-powered offense in 2009 that set school records before they were broken in 2015 by Brent Stockstill and company. Franklin’s 2009 offense set the school record in total offense before it was broken in 2015, total points, and passing yards. He also was apart of the team’s last 10-win season that ended in a New Orleans Bowl victory.

Franklin also set similar offensive records at Cal with quarterback Jared Goff, as the Golden Bears racked up 6,879 yards of total offense, 4,892 passing yards and 44 passing touchdowns this past season.

Franklin looks to continue the success this young Blue Raiders offense had in 2015 by molding Stockstill into an even better quarterback. Franklin also has a pretty good wide receiver for Stockstill to throw the ball to in Richie James, who ranked 10th in the country with 1,346 receiving yards.

Follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.