Olivia Jones says she ‘quit’ Women’s Basketball team, not ‘suspended’

Photo courtesy of MT Athletics

UPDATE  6:40 p.m. Junior forward Olivia Jones was originally reported to be “indefinitely suspended” from MTSU’s women’s basketball team by the MT Athletics’ communication department.

However, Jones has come out saying that she was never suspended, but, instead, she has decided to walk away from the team. Jones has also said she plans on transferring from Middle Tennessee.

“For all the people who [are] wondering, I did not get suspended I definitely quit,” Jones said in a Facebook post.

Jones agreed to give a statement to Sidelines about her decision to walk away from the team.

“I came out with this information because for four years I dedicated nothing but time and effort and I feel like they lied to make themselves look better,” Jones said.

Jones continued, saying she was unsure as to why the athletic department would come out and say she was suspended.

“I’m not quite sure why they would say they suspended me. Especially since [Rick] Insell didn’t say anything to me after I quit,” Jones added.

“I just want the truth to be free. I’m glad that I’m the first to stand up for myself and what’s right,” Jones said.

There was some obvious tension between Jones and the head coach Rick Insell, which could potentially be mentioned by Insell in his statement on the situation that is expected to be released this upcoming week.

“Coach [Rick] Insell will address [the situation] later in the week,”Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Tony Stinnett told Sidelines.

Jones has agreed to do a video interview with Sidelines next week in which she will detail all that has taken place over the past year, causing her to walk away from the team.

Jones is currently third on the team in scoring, averaging 9.6 points per game. She is also averaging 30.5 minutes per game and leads the team with 27 steals.

Jones led Conference USA in scoring with 19.8 points per game last season, which had her pegged as the 2015-2016 Conference USA preseason player of the year.

UPDATE  5:45 p.m. : Jones has told the Daily News Journal she quit the team, as opposed to being suspended. We have reached out for comment and will update the story as soon as more information becomes available.

Original story:

Junior forward Olivia Jones has been “indefinitely suspended” from MTSU’s women’s basketball team, the MT Athletic Communication department has confirmed.

Jones played 29 minutes and scored 10 points in Thursday’s loss at UTEP, but she wasn’t listed in Saturday’s final statistics in the team’s 74-63 win at UTSA on Saturday afternoon, which had the media swirling after the Men’s home victory over UTSA.

The Blue Raiders are going to miss Jones’ ability to create steals and score the basketball. Ty Petty and Brea Edwards are going to have to step up  to make up for Jones’ absence.

The Blue Raiders take on the Charlotte 49ers (9-5, 2-1 C-USA) at home on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

Editor’s Note: This story was first reported by the Daily News Journal.

Follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.