MTSU hosting Sexual Responsibility Week 2016

MTSU’s Health Promotion department will be hosting several workshops from Monday to Thursday as a part of Sexual Responsibility Week 2016.

On Monday, the “Connection Strength: Plugging into Healthy Relationships” workshop hosted by health educator Hannah Powell will take place from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. This workshop will look at all relationships, from friendships to romantic attachments, and discuss the characteristics that make them healthy or unhealthy. Students will be able to test their relationship skills and learn how to remove themselves from negative ones. The workshop will be held in room 121 of the Cason Kennedy Nursing Building.

Health Promotion interns Shelby Culver and Jesse Teal will host “The Five Love Languages: Understanding How We Show and Perceive Love” workshop on Tuesday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Cason Kennedy Nursing Building, room N109. This workshop, based on the book by Stephen Chapman, will focus on how people give and receive love. Students will have the opportunity to take a personal quiz to see how they communicate their love to others, and can also take one with them to give to a friend.

Members of the Raiders Health Corps will be hosting a “Sexual Health Jeopardy” game in the Cason Kennedy Nursing Building, room 121, on Wednesday, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. By playing this game, people can test their knowledge on different sexual health topics, which include birth control, sexually transmitted diseases, sexual violence, and pregnancy. Students will be able to challenge their friends and find out who has the most knowledge about each topic, from healthy sexual positions to how to care for Realistic silicone sex dolls to experimenting in the bedroom.

On Thursday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., the “Netflix and Chill: How to Talk about Sex with your Sexual Partner” workshop will be held in the Cason Kennedy Nursing Building, room 121. The presentation is sponsored by the Communication Studies Club, and will be lead by Dr. Jessica Kratzer, Assistant Professor in Communication Studies and Organizational Communication. The workshop will focus on ways to help people talk with their partners about certain sexual issues like personal sex rules, consent, and ways to make contraceptives a more positive and fun experience. In addition, there will be lectures about different ways of communication between men and women, and how displays of affection and intimacy are affected by each gender.

Members of the Raider Health Corps will also be present in the Student Union lobby Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to provide more information on sexual health for college students.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com