Thursday, June 13, 2024

MTSU Hatch Show Print exhibit extended to April 7

By Devin Ross // Contributing Writer | Photo by John Connor Coulston // Managing Editor

If you missed it the first go around, you’re in luck; the Hatch Show Print exhibit at the Todd Art Gallery has been extended to April 7.

The show, which opened in February, showcases the recent work of Hatch artists, including Hatch Master printer Jim Sherraden, MTSU print professor emeritus Christine Nuell and MTSU alumna Heather Moulder, as well as showcasing some of the famed print-shops most revered works.

Originally founded by William H. Hatch in Prescott, Wisconsin, Hatch opened their first Nashville location in 1879 where Williams’ sons Charles R. and Herbert H. transformed the business into the regions leading print shop, advertising everything from carnivals to airstream trailers.

By the middle of the 20th century, Hatch had become the leading country music show poster printers in the world. The Country Music industry was booming and with a new site situated behind the Ryman Auditorium, Hatch took up the demand for advertising the shows.

Using a system of hand-carved woodblock typography, they created a definitively Southern visual aesthetic that served as a visual aid to the music of the era.

They soon branched out to other forms of music, advertising upcoming shows for jazz and Rock n’ Roll artists including Louis Armstrong and Elvis Presley while continuing to advertise regional businesses, all under their mantra “Advertising without posters is like fishing without worms.”

Over the past century Hatch Show Print has become a name synonymous with Nashville’s Music Industry and show posters the world over.  They have printed posters for a wide array of artists ranging from Death Cab for Cutie to James Brown to Bill Monroe.

Today, the company produces 500 to 600 posters a year, all utilizing the same moveable type letter setting process they began with.

The show is open to the public and is held at the Todd Art Gallery in Todd Hall, rooms 224 and 224A, and can be seen during the gallery’s regular hours of Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

For more stories and updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Tanner Dedmon email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.