Uber driver charged with aggravated rape

Emmett Nelson Lyons Jr., a 42-year old Uber driver, was indicted on March 15 by the Rutherford County Grand Jury on aggravated rape and rape charges.

According to the police report, Lyons was arrested on March 11 for raping a 22 year old female in October after a Halloween party. The victim became intoxicated at the party on Oct. 31, and her friend called for an Uber cab to take the victim home.

Much has been made of the degree of safety involved in riding an Uber, with many people fearing that events like this may occur again. Not only that, but many people are concerned about the driving safety involved with Ubers, with some people calling for more guarantee that only skilled drivers are employed by Uber. However, if you are involved in an accident in an Uber, you can always go to someone like a Uber accident attorney, who may be able to give you the help you need in the aftermath of such an event.

Once Lyons arrived to pick up the victim through Uber, the victim’s friend began tracking their drive and noticed that Lyons had driven off of the route. Upon seeing that Lyons had taken a detour, the victim’s friend went to her house and found the victim “injured, emotional and scared,” according to the report. The victim was immediately taken to the hospital by her friend.

Lyons has been previously arrested under aggravated rape and rape charges and is currently being held in the Rutherford County jail on a $100,000 bond.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com