Middle Tennessee reacts to Kevin Byard’s NFL Draft selection

Photo by John Connor Coulston//Managing Editor

On Friday night, Middle Tennessee State University safety Kevin Byard became the latest Blue Raider to be selected in the NFL Draft.

The former MTSU safety was selected with the first pick in the third round (No. 64 overall) by the Tennessee Titans, one of the five teams that worked out Byard on campus prior to the draft.

Byard began his collegiate career in the 2011 season, and now closes out his MTSU career by becoming the fifth player under Blue Raider head coach Rick Stockstill to be taken in the NFL Draft.

Late Friday night, Stockstill took to Twitter to congratulate Byard.

Past Blue Raider standouts also chimed in to congratulate Byard as well, notably from current Indianapolis Colts linebacker Erik Walden.

Walden was selected in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft, and will now face Byard and the Titans twice a year.

Blue Raider fans, many who are also supporters of the Titans, also reached out to Byard to wish him good luck on his NFL journey.

Even a former beat writer for the Blue Raiders tweeted at Byard to cheer him on.

Overall, fans of the Titans, or Blue Raiders, are pleased that Byard is staying local as he pursues a starting spot for the Titans.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.