Shots fired at Campus Villa apartments Saturday night

Police responded to a report of shots fired at Campus Villa apartments on Saturday night.

Upon arrival at the complex, which is located less than a half a mile from MTSU at 902 Greenland Drive, officers made contact with a female victim who had been assaulted by a male suspect, Joseph James, 22.

According to police, the two were sitting in a  parked brown SUV when the victim was notified of an outstanding warrant for James. She confronted him about the warrant and asked to be taken home. James then became “irate,” punched the victim, pulled her hair out and bit her right hand. James then retrieved a handgun from the trunk of the vehicle and threatened the victim with it.

The victim left the vehicle, and James sped off and firing five or six shots, according to witnesses.  An MTSU student at neighboring apartment complex Student Quarters heard the shots and dialed 911.

Detectives collected shell casings at the scene, and the victim was transported for medical treatment.

James, who was previously convicted of aggravated burglary in 2009, was charged with aggravated domestic assault, felony possession of a firearm and possession of firearm in commission of an active felony.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com