Bonnaroo 2016: Halsey heats things up in a flawless performance

Photo courtesy of Capitol Records

Taking to the Which Stage on day two, electro pop princess Halsey gave the daylight a nice and fiery sendoff, leading the way into a fun evening lineup.

The 21-year-old’s performance almost didn’t even happen. Posting on Instagram earlier in the day, Halsey admitted to having been in the hospital, but that she was feeling better and on her way to ‘Roo.

And if you didn’t know any better, you’d never tell the difference.

Strutting out to the Asian-instrumental inspired intro of “Gasoline”, the blue-haired beauty looked every bit her usual cool, calm and killer self, showing a lot of skin and loving the crowd. After bleeding straight into her megahit “Castle”, Halsey stopped to ask “the (expletive)” everyone was doing while pointing a fan with neon green hair.

“That’s tight,” she said, playfully. “I see you.”

This year marks the first time Halsey, whose real name is Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, has ever performed at Bonnaroo, and we can tell from her experience that it won’t be the last. In fact, with her star on the rise, it wouldn’t be a stretch to see her on the What Stage one day.

But that night also marked something unusual in her live gigs. Towards the end of her set she quietly told that crowd that she had a surprise for them and asked permission to sing a Fleetwood Mac song. As if that wasn’t enough, she added that it was a song she and her buddy St. Lucia (who had performed earlier on) both loved, before inviting him on the stage to sing “Dreams”.

Capping the night off with the millennium anthem “New Americana”, Halsey exited Bonnaroo and one of hopefully many performances to come.

— Sara Snoddy, MTSU Seigenthaler News Service, Twitter:@sara_snoddy

This article was published in cooperation with the Seigenthaler News Service.

To see our full archive of Bonnaroo coverage, click here.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Olivia Ladd email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.