Thursday, June 13, 2024

Stones River National Battlefield offers free bike tours in October

Photo courtesy of Stones River National Battlefield

If you’ve ever wanted a more in-depth look at local Murfreesboro history, now is your chance to experience that while getting in some exercise.

This Saturday, and every Saturday until the end of October, the Stones River National Battlefield is offering a free bike tour of the area.

The bike tour is completely free of charge and open to all ages, so you can bring friends and family along. The only requirement is that you bring a bike.

The tour meets at the Stones River National Battlefield visitor center at 8:45 a.m., and the tour starts at 9 a.m. It lasts about an hour and a half, and stretches over seven miles of the battlefield.

But don’t worry– seven miles sounds like a lot, but the ride is relatively slow-paced and there are plenty of stops at historical points along the way.

The group will be led by an experienced park ranger so you will get the benefit of fresh fall air and accurate education of Civil War history just down the road from where you live.

The event will wrap up at 10:30 a.m.

Call 615-893-9501 ahead of time to make sure there are spots available each week, or you can email John McKay or go by the visitors center for more information.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Olivia Ladd email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.