Bruno Mars creates funk-pop masterpiece with ’24k Magic’ | Album Review

By Jordan Trice/ Contributing writer

Photo courtesy of Atlantic Records

After a four-year absence since his 2012 album “Unorthodox Jukebox,” pop sensation Bruno Mars is back at it again with “24K Magic.”

Mars, one of the best-selling artists of all time, has accomplished many feats during his career, including winning four Grammys, topping the Forbes 30 under 30 list and being named one of the top 100 influential people in the world according to Time magazine in 2011.

Accompanied by his band “The Hooligans,” Mars has created yet another funk-pop masterpiece with “24K Magic,” having similar sounds and characteristics from his previous work.

As for the title track, “24K Magic” produces a very heavy funk-oriented sound that can be easily described as energetic and outgoing. Being just as catchy as “Uptown Funk,” featuring Mark Ronson, the newer track is captivating and makes even the most stagnant listener want to dance — even when they don’t want to.

Also, just like previous works of art by Mars, some songs on the new album revolve heavily around intimate interactions. Take for instance “Versace On The Floor,” which includes a very basic R&B melody with more than straight-forward lyrics. There is also “Chunky,” a track where Mars refers to various women during a night out, accompanied by a somewhat eccentric pop sound.

However, it just wouldn’t be a true Bruno Mars album without one or two songs that are very personal and sincere, such as “Too Good To Say Goodbye.” In this song, Mars uses an ‘80s-style synth to begin and end the track alongside with traditional drumming and bass notes that follow the vocal range. The lyrical content of the track is pertaining to Mars making a last ditch effort to keep the woman in his life, reflecting back on some things that they have in common and what they have done together.

Mars has always been “the people’s artist.” He makes music that the average person can relate to, including topical content such as relationship ordeals and problems. This within itself makes him stand alone from the rest as being one of the most versatile and evolving pop singers in musical history.

“24K Magic” definitely sets the standard for what long-time fans of Mars were expecting and is one of his best pieces of work yet. Mars has announced a global tour for “24K Magic” throughout the year of 2017, and tickets are on sale now.

“24K Magic” is available on iTunes, Spotify and Google Play.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Olivia Ladd email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.