Choge awarded C-USA Cross Country Athlete of the Year

Photo courtesy of Colin Abbey

Story by Jacob Young / Staff Writer

Freshman runner Jacob Choge has been named the 2016 Conference USA Cross Country Male Athlete of the Year, adding to his impressive list of accolades this year.

Choge becomes the first Blue Raider ever to win the award after his spectacular freshman campaign. He was also the first Middle Tennessee student-athlete to be named an USTFCCCA (U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association) All-American.

On Oct. 29, Choge became the first Blue Raider to place first in the C-USA Championship with a blistering 23:54.1 time. Choge also posted the fastest 10K time in program history which led to the first NCAA Championship appearance for Middle Tennessee. Choge finished 40th overall and led the Blue Raiders to a historic 28th  place finish in the championship.

The Kenya native even added two C-USA Athlete of the Week awards this season along with being named Freshman of the Meet and First-Team All-Conference at the C-USA Championship.

The multi award-winning athlete will look to add upon his phenomenal year as the indoor track season begins this Saturday, Dec. 3 at Vanderbilt.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.