MTSU Employee Charitable Giving Campaign exceeds pledge goal

Photo courtesy of MTSU News and Media Relations

MTSU employees pledged more than $121,000 to go towards nonprofit charities during the 2016 MTSU Employee Charitable Giving Campaign.

According to a recent press release, the theme for the charity event this year was “Shine the Light on Giving.” The goal was $120,000, and the annual campaign began in October. The proceeds raised will go to a variety of nonprofit organizations serving for those in need next year.

In total, $121,342 was raised from the event with the help of 665 donors, which is an increase from last year’s campaign donations of $118,000.

Employees could choose which nonprofits their donations would be given to from a list of 13 independent charities and three federated charitable organizations. Some of these organizations included Community Health Charities, Community Shares and local United Ways.

Gloria Bonner, campaign chair and assistant to the president in the Office of Community Engagement, said in the press release, “Everybody wins when you touch the lives of individuals and families in meaningful and impactful ways through charitable giving. These positive results have benefits that create a ripple effect throughout the community as a whole.”

The Provost Cup, which recognizes the academic college that has the highest percentage of giving, was awarded to the Jennings A. Jones College of Business, which had about 75 percent participation from its employees. This is the fourth year in a row that they have had the highest employee participation in the Charitable Giving Campaign.

“This campaign represents the very definition of what it means to be True Blue,” President Sidney A. McPhee said in the press release.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com