Singer-songwriter Jonatha Brooke visits MTSU

Photo by Marissa Gaston/ Contributing photographer

By Marissa Gaston/ Contributing writer

Singer-songwriter Jonatha Brooke visited the MTSU College of Media and Entertainment Thursday with her co-producer and MTSU alumnus Mark Hornsby for a live, in-studio demonstration and talk.

The artist has been recording since the 1980s and is famous for her folk, pop and rock combinations that are accented with strong harmony. Many of her songs have been featured in television and film, such as Disney’s “Return to Never Land” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

Students had the unique opportunity to sit in on a studio session in Studio A on campus with Brooke and Hornsby as they shared some techniques and practices they used to create Brooke’s latest album, “Midnight Hallelujah.”

Track by track, Hornsby took each one apart, detailing the instruments and tools he used to create their unique sounds.

This allowed students, many of which were recording industry majors, an opportunity to critique professional work and see industry insider tips and tricks.

They spent the most time on the title track, which Brooke explained she wrote as her mother dealt with Alzheimer’s. She ended up with a song about both spiritual and carnal love.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Olivia Ladd email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.