Weekend series at a glance: MTSU vs. Old Dominion

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

Coming off of a big win against the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville on Tuesday, the Blue Raiders are hoping that they will carry some momentum into their weekend series against a tough Old Dominion team.

The Blue Raider have won six of their last nine, and appear to be playing better since the return of senior outfielder Brad Jarreau. MTSU will need Jarreau and the rest of the team to have big performances if they want to win their series against the 22-8 Old Dominion Monarchs.

Areas to watch over the weekend

MTSU’s pitching

Pitching performance has been a major struggle for the Blue Raiders this season. MTSU has only had one shut out this season, coming on March 3rd against Kennessaw State. On top of that, many of MTSU’s games have seen them end up on the wrong end of a blowout.

However, as of late, the team has shown that they are able to rally back as long as their pitching and defense can keep Old Dominion from having huge innings.

Old Dominion’s defensive woes

Old Dominion hasn’t had the best luck in their games this week, as they’ve given up 35 combined runs in their Tuesday and Wednesday games.

On Tuesday, Old Dominion lost 18-5 to the 18th ranked Virginia. On Wednesday, they were able to keep the score close, but still allowing high scoring in a 17-14 loss to Virginia Military Institute.

MTSU needs to look to get on the board early in the weekend and take advantage of Old Dominion’s slump that they are currently in if they are looking to take down the number two team in C-USA up to this point.

Players to watch

MTSU

Brad Jarreau

The senior outfielder has played a large role in the teams success as of late, hitting .348 batting average through the 11 games he’s suited up this season. His slugging percentage is a .522, and he’s tied for second in homeruns on the team with two. Look for Jarreau to be a key part in the Blue Raiders’ offense.

Riley Delgado

The Blue Raider shortstop is the team leader, or tied for team leader, in nearly every statistical hitting category. He has the highest batting average of players who have appeared in more than 20 games, hitting a total .325 through 29 games. The only stat that he’s not leading in is home runs, and he’s tied for second in that regard with two.

Old Dominion

Vinnie Pasquantino

The Old Dominion first baseman is hitting a team best .363 through thirty games, and has 18 RBI. He’s leading the Monarchs in slugging percentage as well with a .531 average.

Zach Rutherford

The Monarch infielder is Old Dominion’s team leader in doubles with 12 on the season. He is second on the team in batting average and slugging percentage, with a .345 and .491, respectively.

Weekend Schedule

Friday: 6 p.m.

Saturday: 4 p.m.

Sunday: 12 p.m.

Follow MTSU Baseball beat writers Anthony Fiorella (@A_Fiorella74), Ryan Nixon (@RNixon32), and Stephen Smith (@StEvo_Shield) on Twitter for more coverage.