Ludacris, MTSU performers light up Murphy Center stage

Photo and Story by Tayhlor Stephenson / Staff Writer

Grammy Award-winning hip-hop artist Ludacris executed a rambunctious performance of music– from his 90s hits to his newly released single — Thursday night at MTSU’s Murphy Center.

The night began around 8:30 p.m. with two openers: Yonna Jones, a student opener who earned her spot onstage through a video submission, and Herobust, a dubstep genius named Hayden Kramer.

Jones lit the stage up with her spitfire, go-getter presence and undeniable dance talent. She played a fifteen-minute set and urged the audience to check out her brand new mixtape, which dropped April 1.

Ari Fine, an MTSU sophomore who worked Ludacris’ stage set-up and break-down said, “We are at the Ludacris/Herobust show … super excited, pumped up.”

Herobust electrified the audience with his intense energy. The one-man dubstepper from Atlanta, Georgia, delivered crowd favorites such as “Bugatti” by Ace Hood and “Bad and Boujee” by Migos during his 45-minute set.

“Are y’all ready for Luda? Make some noise,” Herobust shouted as he left the stage and prepped the crowd for the moment they’d been waiting for.

Within seconds the crowd was taken over by a chant of “Luda! Luda! Luda!”

Ludacris took the stage at 9:38 p.m. with his exhilarating performance of “Number One Spot.” He greeted his audience of students, faculty and staff with a shoutout to his Asian, Latino, and black fans.

“And the reason I’ve sold over 20 million records … white people make some noise!” he added humorously. 

Ludacris performed some of his throwbacks, including “Act A Fool” and “Area Codes” with his right-hand man and music-mixer, DJ Infamous, right behind him. He also shared the stage with Lil’ Fate, his partner in crime, or as Luda called him, his “partner in rhyme.”

Toward the end of his one-hour set, Ludacris performed his newly released single “Vitamin D” — a song that reintroduces those old Luda vibes that everyone knows and loves.

“I just released a new single like last week,” he explained. “The video comes out next week, but right now I want to give you a little taste of the new single.”

The hits didn’t end there, though. Ludacris reminded everyone just how important his music was and continues to be as he wrapped up the night.

He even took a couple songs per request from the audience with “My Chick Bad” and “All I Do Is Win.”

Ludacris left everyone with his 21st song of the night and 2004 hit “Get Back.”

MTSU freshman Kaylyn Slatter was pleased with the performance.

“It was pretty good for my very first concert,” Slatter said.

MTSU freshman Savannah Rosevear-Goetsch added, “The opening acts were really good, too.” 

The concert was open to MTSU students, faculty and alumni only and was hosted by the university’s Signature Events Committee which is comprised of members of Student Programming and Raider Entertainment (SPARE) along with Student Government Association.

Abigail Stapler, a member of SPARE, confirmed next year’s show.

“It’s pretty much going to be the same principle with a roll-out announcement and some artist,” Stapler said.

The committee has not yet chosen a performer, but they are now accepting recommendations.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Marissa Gaston email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.